Saturday 30 April 2016

Airliner!

So, while waiting for the postman (men) to turn up with the next set of projects for the magazine, I had a space on my workbench. Every now and then I take a shot at an airliner. I've had Revell's baby Airbus, the A319 in my stash since it was released, and decided to do a quick build of that, utilising only what's in the kit - no aftermarket decals, windows or details. So after a few evenings of leisurely modelling, here we are:-

 Although a simple build, the kit does have some flash and sink marks that need to be dealt with - you can see along the wings around the spoilers and ailerons, where an application of Mr Surfacer 500 has been sanded back to deal with those marks. It's nothing bad, but these are the details which lift a model. The engines, however, needed some work. They are simple halves which trap fans and exhausts, leaving a tricky seam. So I cut the noses off at the rear of the fan recess, assembled and sanded the internal seams and then then added the fans back in before joining the noses to their nacelles


 Usng a fine saw to remove the noses, they glue back in place very nicely. Some clean up will be required along that join, and I may lose some detail on the nacelles themselves, but in this small scale I'm not too worried.

These pics just show a bit of the work required on the fuselage and wing seams - nothing drastic, just careful filling and sanding.

 
 That's all for now!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Academy A-10 first steps

 So I've been waiting for this for a while, and finally picked one up this morning and started immediately.  The kit is beautifully moul...